The deployment of the F-4 Phantom II started in the early 1960s and over 5,000 were manufactured during its production run. The F-4 Phantom II was operated by not only the Navy and Air Force in America, but also other countries on account of its long range and superlative loading capacity. In 1952, the Navy desired a supersonic aircraft and while the F-8 Crusader produced by the Vought Aircraft Industries, Inc. was employed, the McDonnell Aircraft Corporation continued to develop a two-seater interceptor with powerful dual engines. This aircraft equipped four each of AIM-7E Sparrows and AIM-9G/H Sidewinders, and was officially adopted as the F4H-1 in December 1958 (which was later renamed the F-4A). The F-4B's production started in 1961 and its delivery began with the Fighter Squadron VF-74. In 1965, two F-4Bs shot down two North Vietnamese MiG-17 each, but the most enemy kills in the early stages of the Vietnam War were carried out by the F-8. However, from Operation Linebacker in 1972 onward, F-4 deployment increased and it was operated for air-to-ground strikes. After that, various kinds of F-4 aircraft were developed and some have even been in service with some countries for half a century.
- This is a 1/48 scale plastic model assembly kit. Fuselage length: 370mm, wingspan: 244mm.
- Exhaustive studies of the actual aircraft enabled this precise recreation of the distinctive form.
- The parts breakdown offers ease of assembly.
- J79-GE-8 engine nozzles, cockpit, and landing gear bays are realistically recreated.
- Choose between folded and extended wingtips.
- One-piece horizontal stabilizer right and left sides move in concert.
- Choose between open and closed canopy, and extended and retracted refueling probe/boarding ladder.
- Different types of antennae and cockpit consoles can be chosen depending on the marking option selected.
- Air-to-air missiles (AIM-7E Sparrow and AIM-9G/H Sidewinder) and two types of drop tanks are included.
- Includes 2 sitting crew figures, 3 marking options, and masking stickers.
Extensive research enabled this highly accurate kit recreation of the F-4B. This image shows the VF-51 “Screaming Eagles" marking option.
The kit can be assembled with wingtips folded or extended. This image shows the VF-111 "Sundowners" marking option applied to the model.
The folded wingtips feature realistic renderings of wing cross-section details such as hinges.
One-piece horizontal stabilizer facilitates easy and accurate assembly, and recreates actual movement using poly caps.